Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Can't Stop Listening: "Ode", Brad Mehldau

Pianist Brad Mehldau is one of those musicians who has people talking. Not every jazz musician I know is a fan, while others worship his music. To me, Brad Mehldau represents a new generation of musicians that are willing to take jazz as we know it and turn it into something that is not completely different but rather, shows a new side of  the modern jazz personality.

I've been listening to Brad Mehldau for quite a few years. His trio work, which often includes complex arrangements of newer pop tunes (most famously, the vastly overplayed Oasis song, "Wonderwall") and jazz standards. However, departing from the trio setting that he has become known for, Mehldau released a chamber jazz album in 2010 called "Highway Rider" that earned him some much deserved praise.

I was very fortunate to see Brad Mehldau live in a rare duo setting with saxophonist, Joshua Redman at the Montreal Jazz Festival in July 2011. It wasn't until then that I really found an appreciation for Mehldau's innovative improvisation and mastery of his instrument. Watching these two fantastic musicians interact was an experience I will never forget.

And luckily for all of us, Brad Mehldau has a new album out. Coming back to his trio roots, "Ode" is comprised of completely original material (a rare treat from Mehldau) and is highly unique in feel but with echoes to other artists including a dedication to Michael Brecker and some piano styling that this particular blogger finds to be slightly reminiscent of Thelonious Monk. "Ode" features Mehldau on piano, one of my favourite current bassists, Larry Grenadier and drummer Jeff Ballard. His compositions riveted me at many points but I think it is Mehldau's improvisations that are really the shining star of this record.


Here's a little taste of the title track, "Ode", I hope you enjoy as much I did.







No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you like to see on The Silly Songbird?